Your brain is like any other part of your body, the better that you treat it through good nutrition and exercise the better that it will work for you. The months prior to a memory tournament I want to prepare my body and brain to be in top shape, because they work in tandem.
1. Cardio vascular exercise is a great first step towards an activity that will improve your memory. When you improve your blood flow, you improve the blood flow to your brain and this means a more alert and healthy brain.
2. Omega 3 fatty acid aids in the formation of the cellular membrane of nerve cells and leads to a sharp memory. Other memory foods that contain high amounts of omega-3 fatty acids include flaxseed, walnut, salmon, soybean, halibut, shrimp, snapper, tofu, scallop, and winter squash
3. Vitamin E is a primary anti-oxidant and a great source is sunflower seeds with one ounce providing 30% of your daily intake. Other great sources are – wheat germ oil, dry almond, safflower oil, hazelnut, peanut butter, spinach, broccoli, kiwi, and mango.
4. Blueberries – They are considered a memory food because they contain a phytochemical that is especially important in reversing the age-related decline of memory, while having a positive influence on spatial working memory
5. Spinach has a high folic acid content and this is believed to prevent against Alzheimer’s and age related memory loss. Half a cup of spinach gives you 2/3 your daily intake of folic acid.
6. Broccoli contains quercetin, an antioxidant that has been shown in recent studies to protect against Alzheimer’s disease
7. Eggplant contains anthocyanin which colors many fruits and vegetables and it also good for your brain. It also contains nasunin, an antioxidant that protects the lipids in brain cell membranes.
8. Red Beets, onions, grapes, cherries, apples and even rosemary are considered memory foods
The foods that you place in your body are going to have an effect on your attention, ability to focus and recall. Avoid foods that are unhealthy for the rest of your body and you will be avoiding foods that are not healthy for your brain.